Shubman Gill (born 8 September 1999) is an Indian international cricketer who plays for Punjab in domestic cricket and as a right-handed opener for Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League (IPL). He made his first-class debut for Punjab against Bengal in the 2017–18 Ranji Trophy, in late 2017, with a half-century in the game, and scored 129 in the next match against Services. He made his international debut for the Indian cricket team in January 2019.
He was included in the India Under-19 squad for the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup as the vice-captain. Shubman scored 372 runs at an average of 124.00 in the tournament, where he batted at number three to play a key role in India’s record fourth world title and was named Player of the Tournament of the edition. His unbeaten 102 not out in the semi-final against arch-rivals Pakistan Under-19s earned him praise for great batsmen like Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, and Sourav Ganguly.
Table of Contents
Shubman Gill biography
|Shubman Singh Gill
|Age( as of 2019)
|Manav Mangal Smart School, Mohali
|Lakhwinder Singh Gill
|Katrina Kaif, Alia Bhatt, Sharukh Khan, Ranveer Singh
|Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli
|Cricket Jersey Number
|68 kg (approx)
Shubman Gill Early life
Shubman Gill was born in Fazilka, Punjab. His family owned agricultural land there. His father, Lakhwinder Singh, an agriculturist, wanted to become a cricketer but could not fulfill his dream. Instead, he decided to make Gill a good cricketer. He saw the cricketing potential of his son at an early age and welcomed the opportunity to revise his cricketing ability. He used to ask the hired help of the farm to throw the ball at Shubman to help him practice batting. Gill’s father was enamored of his talent, and moved the family to Mohali and rented a house near the PCA Stadium.
Gill’s father said that Shubman was fond of cricket since the age of three. “He only played cricket from the age of three. Children of that age used to play with toys. He never asked for such things. There was only bat and ball for him. He slept with bat and ball”, said Gill’s father Lakhwinder Singh.
In his Under-16 state debut for Punjab, he hit an unbeaten double century in the Vijay Merchant Trophy. In 2014, he scored 351 runs in Punjab’s Inter-District Under-16 competition and shared a record opening stand of 587 runs with Nirmal Singh.
Some Facts About Shubman Gill
- His father also wanted to become a cricketer but never got the chance.
- Seeing Shubman’s interest in cricket, his family moved from Fazilka to Mohali where he rented a house near Punjab Cricket Association IS Bindra Stadium.
- In 2018, Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) bought him for Rs. 1.8 crores in the 2018 Indian Premier League (IPL) auction.
- At the age of 11, he was selected in the Under-16 Punjab cricket team to play at the district level. In his first series, he scored a maximum of 330 runs in five matches and set a record.
- He also scored 351 runs in the Inter-District Under-16 Punjab Cricket Tournament ML Markan Trophy and at the district level he had a world record opening partnership of 587 runs with Nirmal Singh.
- In 2014, he scored over 200 runs in his first Vijay Merchant Trophy Under-16 Punjab state level match.
- He was named as the vice-captain of the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup.
- In 2017, he made his List A debut against the Vidarbha cricket team in Delhi.
- In the same year, he was selected in the India Under-19 cricket team and played his first match in the youth ODI series against England. He scored 351 runs in this series and became the man of the series.
- He was awarded the MA Chidambaram Trophy by the BCCI for the Best Under-16 Cricketer for his successful season 2013–2014.